Maddie's Bookshelf

Growing up I was an avid reader. I have thankfully rediscovered my love of books again, which means finding a balance between study and leisurely reading is a bit of a challenge, but is well worth the effort!

Emotional Wreck

Me Before You - Jojo Moyes

I have no idea where to begin. I finished this book about 20 minutes ago and I just want to get straight into writing this review to distract myself from my current state of emotional instability.

This book taught me to be grateful and to never take life for granted. This novel is realistic and is not your typical cheesy romance (man I despise those sorts of books). In fact, I wouldn't call this book a romance at all. Can I also just put out there that the fact that having New Zealand (my home country) mentioned in the story was pretty cool. Us Kiwi's tend to get pretty excited when we're mentioned in films, novels etc.

Me Before You presents an ethical dilemma that is currently heavily debated around the world, and I think that by reading a piece of fiction about the idea is a great way to present the topic to a diverse group of people. Yes the topic may leave some readers feeling distressed, but nonetheless it is a topic that I believe should be discussed.

Everyone needs to read this book. There are so many elements to it that I think pretty much anyone could take something away from Me Before You. I can't wait to check out Jojo Moyes' other books including After You, to see what happens next in character's lives.

That's all I can think of to say right now. I'd better put my laptop away before it breaks due to water damage.

- Maddie